Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic For Your Consideration (Read 4843 times)
SolC9

EZ1 Productions Fan

For Your Consideration
Nov 1st, 2015 at 6:44pm
Print Post  
I thought this would be a good thread to suggest movies you've seen this year that may have been overlooked by others for one reason or another.  I'll start it out by suggesting two very different movies. 

First, The Voices.  Seriously, Ryan Reynolds deserves Oscar consideration for his performance.  It really is that great. 

Second, surprisingly, Cinderella.  I skipped this initially because these Disney reboots/reimaginings/etc.  have become tiring.  This was a joy to watch.  Great acting, casting, directing, soundtrack, production design, visual effects.  This movie has heart to spare and now ranks just below my absolute favorite fairy tale movies, The Princess Bride and Stardust.

SolC9

EZ1 Productions Fan

Re: For Your Consideration
Reply #1 - Nov 29th, 2015 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
So I just watched Creed.  I will not be complaining if this gets nominated for awards.  Especially deserving is Stallone, who is awesome in this supporting role.

adam

EZ1 Productions Fan

Reply #2 - Nov 29th, 2015 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
thanks, sol, for your recommendation of the voices.  i had recently watched persepolis and really loved it, so i figured it's from the same director with her unique vision.  very sick & twisted, but fantastical, colorful and whimsical at the same time.  will be watching her other film, chicken with plums, tonight.

SolC9

EZ1 Productions Fan

Reply #3 - Dec 8th, 2015 at 8:20am
Print Post  
So this weekend I watched Ant Man, Mr. Holmes, and Inside Out.  Ant-Man doesn't deserve awards, but it's better than I expected it to be.  Mr. Holmes has 3 great performances and I really hope Ian McKellen is nominated for this.  He is awesome.  Inside Out deserves any noms it gets.  It's just a great movie.

SolC9

EZ1 Productions Fan

Reply #4 - Dec 25th, 2015 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
Here are my top 10 movies of the year...

Cinderella
Star Wars: The Force Awakens
The Avengers: Age of Ultron
The Martian
Tomorrowland
Inside Out
Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation
Kingsman: The Secret Service
Ant-Man
Furious 7

These are ranked by the order I would watch them if I could only watch one.  What puts Cinderella ahead were the same things that made Wreck-It-Ralph my favorite movie of 2012.  Everything worked for me, I felt good watching the movie, and no glaring flaws distracted me from the enjoyment. 

marley209

EZ1 Productions Fan

Reply #5 - Dec 30th, 2015 at 9:30am
Print Post  
Adam, how was Chicken with Plums? Love Mathieu Amalric. I met Marjane at the airport after the Telluride film fest where Persepolis played. Brilliant movie, lovely lady. I didn't realize The Voices was hers. Doesn't par up with Persepolis, but decently quirky.

adam

EZ1 Productions Fan

Reply #6 - Jan 4th, 2016 at 5:30am
Print Post  
sorry haven't been on here in a bit ... chicken with plums was worth a watch, definitely quirky for sure, not as good as persepolis as well. very cool to have met satrapi. have now been catching up on marion cotillard with rust & bone and two days, one night - both were excellent. next up - nina hoss with barbara, jerichow and hopefully phoenix (when my library gets it).

marley209

EZ1 Productions Fan

Reply #7 - Jan 24th, 2016 at 10:34am
Print Post  
Spotlight is easily the best film of 2015!

marley209

EZ1 Productions Fan

Reply #8 - Feb 24th, 2016 at 9:00am
Print Post  
Okay, so for what it's worth, here's how I rank the Oscar nominees for Best Picture, in order of preference:

Spotlight
Bridge of Spies
The Big Short
Room
Brooklyn
Mad Max: Fury Road
The Revenant
The Martian

Unfortunately, it looks like The Revenant will take it.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint