Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Release Date Changes (Read 13708 times)
magicdreamer

EZ1 Productions Fan

Re: Release Date Changes
Reply #15 - Dec 3rd, 2016 at 11:03am
Print Post  
Keith wrote on Dec 2nd, 2016 at 12:49pm:
Yeah, looks like La La isn;t wide until 1/6. Everything I'm seeing about fences says wide only on Chistmas day. Looks like it was an L on the 16th some months ago but that was changed.

Uh, I believe the change is against the rules as it opens 7 days from the date you made the change.

For that reason the game administrator will retain the right to change the category of a movie, but will only do so up to 10 days before a movie's release date.
« Last Edit: Dec 3rd, 2016 at 3:20pm by magicdreamer »  

Keith

EZ1 Productions Fan

Reply #16 - Dec 5th, 2016 at 12:53am
Print Post  
ah, crap... that date thing is annoying!   Embarrassed

magicdreamer

EZ1 Productions Fan

Reply #17 - Dec 6th, 2016 at 12:45am
Print Post  
Well, then shouldn't you change it back?

SolC9

EZ1 Productions Fan

Reply #18 - Dec 6th, 2016 at 10:03am
Print Post  
magicdreamer wrote on Dec 6th, 2016 at 12:45am:
Well, then shouldn't you change it back?

Why would you want it changed back?  It's completely worthless as a C. 

magicdreamer

EZ1 Productions Fan

Reply #19 - Dec 6th, 2016 at 11:20am
Print Post  
Because the rules state that the category couldn't be changed at that point.  One could argue that it should have been changed a week earlier but it wasn't so it should stay as a C.  Why have rules if they are not going to be followed?

Rules should not be ignored for the convenience of the game master or the players.  And that is what is happening here. Nor they should be changed in mid game for that purpose.  Change the rules for the next winter game.

Yes, the movie may be worthless as a C.  That is for individual players to decide and keep or not buy accordingly based on information that is available.  If it is worthless, than a player needs to look elsewhere for a movie instead of being able to get extra gross from the movie by it being an L when the change is made against the published rules.  It is not like the situation has not happened before where a movie couldn't be changed because it was to close to the release date.

I love Keith as the game master and think he does a very good job most of the time but his answer sounds to me like he knew the rules and chose to ignore them.  Maybe I am wrong.  But either way, it is not fair to the players if the rules are not being followed.

Example - If a player has only identified 7 L's they want, this late change gives them an advantage by giving them another option that should not be there.  Likewise, if a player identified 8 L's already and say kept Jackie last week when they might not have if La La Land was an L has a disadvantage now.  I don't remember exactly when Keith made the change last Friday, so for the sake of this example, they logged in Thursday night to do Friday's positions because they could not be on the site Friday morning.  For the record, I am a hybrid of the two categories, I do not have 8 L's picked out yet and I did keep Jackie but would have anyway.  But I believe rules should be followed and not changed in mid game. 

I see 2 options since the change was not done at least 10 days prior to release, make it and keep it a C or remove it from the game since it won't get a wide release during the game.

Keith

EZ1 Productions Fan

Reply #20 - Dec 6th, 2016 at 2:55pm
Print Post  
So yes, I thought I had a week to change instead of 10 days (why it was done Friday).

So I can do one of two things because the rules give me some leeway:

1) I can change the film back to a C per the rules and that is the final move.

Or

2) I can change back to a C per the rules. I would then delete then title (purchases refunded). I can then add the film as an L with a new price commensurate with its new situation.
-

What are people's thoughts. I'll be doing this after today's price changes ( Wink ).

SolC9

EZ1 Productions Fan

Reply #21 - Dec 6th, 2016 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
Keith wrote on Dec 6th, 2016 at 2:55pm:
So yes, I thought I had a week to change instead of 10 days (why it was done Friday).

So I can do one of two things because the rules give me some leeway:

1) I can change the film back to a C per the rules and that is the final move.

Or

2) I can change back to a C per the rules. I would then delete then title (purchases refunded). I can then add the film as an L with a new price commensurate with its new situation.
-

What are people's thoughts. I'll be doing this after today's price changes ( Wink ).

I'll roll with whichever you chose. 

SolC9

EZ1 Productions Fan

Reply #22 - Dec 6th, 2016 at 4:20pm
Print Post  
magicdreamer wrote on Dec 6th, 2016 at 11:20am:
Because the rules state that the category couldn't be changed at that point.  One could argue that it should have been changed a week earlier but it wasn't so it should stay as a C.  Why have rules if they are not going to be followed?

Rules should not be ignored for the convenience of the game master or the players.  And that is what is happening here. Nor they should be changed in mid game for that purpose.  Change the rules for the next winter game.

Yes, the movie may be worthless as a C.  That is for individual players to decide and keep or not buy accordingly based on information that is available.  If it is worthless, than a player needs to look elsewhere for a movie instead of being able to get extra gross from the movie by it being an L when the change is made against the published rules.  It is not like the situation has not happened before where a movie couldn't be changed because it was to close to the release date.

I love Keith as the game master and think he does a very good job most of the time but his answer sounds to me like he knew the rules and chose to ignore them.  Maybe I am wrong.  But either way, it is not fair to the players if the rules are not being followed.

Example - If a player has only identified 7 L's they want, this late change gives them an advantage by giving them another option that should not be there.  Likewise, if a player identified 8 L's already and say kept Jackie last week when they might not have if La La Land was an L has a disadvantage now.  I don't remember exactly when Keith made the change last Friday, so for the sake of this example, they logged in Thursday night to do Friday's positions because they could not be on the site Friday morning.  For the record, I am a hybrid of the two categories, I do not have 8 L's picked out yet and I did keep Jackie but would have anyway.  But I believe rules should be followed and not changed in mid game. 

I see 2 options since the change was not done at least 10 days prior to release, make it and keep it a C or remove it from the game since it won't get a wide release during the game.

If you already have 8 L's picked out going into December, then you don't understand the nature of the game or you're taking a huge risk.  Movies, especially Oscar type films, move around and change release patterns a lot this time of year.  Not allowing yourself flexibility is silly.  Thus I feel 10 days vs. 7 days doesn't really matter to me as a limit for changing category.  It is what it is, the C's that are oscar type movies, and the L's are wildcards in this season.

There are three sucky options.  Follow the rules, make it a C and worthless.  Bend the rules as Keith mentioned as an alternative, and put up with the complainers.  Remove the movie and lose the probable best picture winner, a movie that makes the end game more interesting.

magicdreamer

EZ1 Productions Fan

Reply #23 - Dec 6th, 2016 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
I know that you have done better at this game then probably anyone else but I have done pretty well at the winter game for 2 of the last 3 years.  Last year, I guessed wrong on Star Wars and that was the game.

I do understand the nature of the game and the nature of L's.  I did mention that I was in neither category of my example.  But at this late stage of the game (only 3 more shopping weekend's left to set the final port), while not set in stone, I do have a pretty good idea of what L's will and will not be in my final portfolio subject to available funds and/or any late news that would be a determent to a particular movie's gross.  I am fairly certain you do too.  But, everyone has different strategies for the game. 

I also agree that 10 days or 7 days is not a big deal for a category switch.  But, I also believe the game should also be played within the rules set at the beginning of the game.  And, if the rules are changed for the next winter game, I think it would be a great move.

As for this game, I have a preference but Keith, do what you think is best within the context of the rules.  The game master is a thankless position and I am grateful to you for doing the winter game the past few years.

Keith

EZ1 Productions Fan

Reply #24 - Dec 6th, 2016 at 10:30pm
Print Post  
haha, thanks!

because its way too close to the film's release date, I'm just going to leave it as the C. If I make it an L, depending on the price, it would be a must own given the buzz on this one. Honestly, if it wasn't, as Sol mentioned, the likely BP winner it wouldn't matter all that much to me but it sucks that such a high profile flick will end up being mostly useless for the game.

Plus Hidden just dropped in and that's doing pretty well with y'all so its a decent substitute.

houdini15

EZ1 Productions Fan

Reply #25 - Dec 7th, 2016 at 9:46am
Print Post  
I guess the rules are the rules...on another note, are the BO grosses going to be updated? I'm curious Smiley

Keith

EZ1 Productions Fan

Reply #26 - Dec 7th, 2016 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
ha, thanks for the reminder! overlooked that with yesterday's discussion.

magicdreamer

EZ1 Productions Fan

Reply #27 - Dec 21st, 2016 at 11:06am
Print Post  
It looks like Dangal is being released today and not Friday.  Both Box Office Mojo and Rotten Tomatoes show the release date as 12/21. Game shows the release date as 12/23.

The EZ1
Forum Administrator

Reply #28 - Dec 21st, 2016 at 12:21pm
Print Post  
Darn foreign movies! I don't think it's a big deal in this instance to leave it, especially since today's deadline has passed. I doubt there will be any reporting for this title before the 12/23.

The Man Behind the Curtain
magicdreamer

EZ1 Productions Fan

Reply #29 - Dec 21st, 2016 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
I might agree but there may be some reporting on the movie tomorrow.  The distributor seems fairly reliable in its reporting of box office.  Keith can change the date to tomorrow's date so it comes off before the numbers come out.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint